1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

what do therapists think of tulpas?

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by Landon, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Landon

Landon New Member Tulpamancy System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, He/Him, They/Them
    I know that they know that tulpas aren't a mental disorder, but how do most therapists see them?

2. The Quandary

The Quandary Colors and Contrast Administrator Moderator Mixed-Origin System

[Cassius] From what we've gathered, most seem to view it as a type of creative coping mechanism. However, beyond that, it's harder to give precise numbers. There's some who roll with it easily and genuinely treat tulpas as persons of their own, saying that the brain's full of mysteries and multiple people existing in one brain isn't unfathomable to them. There's some who don't think tulpas are bad, but aren't convinced they're persons, just aspects of a person or imaginary friends. (If we had to guess, that would be the opinion you're most likely to run into.) Then there's some who not only believe tulpas aren't people, but think of them as crutches that a tulpamancer needs to be weaned off of, a fantasy that they can't in good faith encourage.

Though rarer, we've also encountered cases where tulpas were thought to be a dissociative disorder or a product of psychosis.

Ultimately, there's a lot of variation among psychs. Diagnosis for things more complicated than your vanilla depression and anxiety can vary wildly depending upon their opinions and levels of knowledge. That variation applies to opinions about tulpas as well--though it's known somewhat now that voices don't automatically equate to illness, the concept of tulpas themselves is still relatively unknown.

3. Riley

Riley Abzan System Mixed-Origin System Is an alter

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    As Cassius says, it varies a lot. A few years ago I approached the subject with a therapist by saying I was "looking into" creating a tulpa, and his reaction could be described as concerned at best. (Though to be fair that therapist did end up being a jerk.)

4. Anius Taluwis

Anius Taluwis New Member Plural System Is a host

Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    My therapist is extremely open-minded and supportive. Months ago, we were discussing how healthy life for a person with mental illness doesn't have to look the same as neurotypical people's lives, and he said that if a patient has voices, the first thing he wants to know is, "are the voices friendly?" and that's the moment when I knew I could open up to him about my system and he would be understanding.

So I told him, and I was absolutely right, he was extremely supportive, and thanked me for trusting him with that information.

Yesterday we talked about the system again since Nen is becoming an increasingly important part of my life, and we talked about how plurality is not inherently disordered, how plurality can be non-traumagenic as well as traumagenic, how the mental illness in DID is not because of the existence of multiple entities but because of the symptoms of suffering trauma.

My therapist told me about how years ago when he had a client with DID, what he did was take her into a conference room, make name plates for all of her system members, and put them around the table, so as the different members fronted she would go around and sit in the corresponding seat, that way he could talk to all of the members in the system and they could all have a say. And that was how he did therapy with them for months, and it really helped them a lot. This was apparently during the 80's, so he was way ahead of his time in doing this and it made me really happy that he told me that story.

I told him about tulpamancy because it is another form of plurality, I found the corpus of tulpamancy knowledge useful and relatable, and I figured he would find the subject interesting. He had never heard of anything like it before, but was very openminded, and when i told him about how people were able to use tulpas to manage their mental illnesses and heal, we talked about similar healing techniques for people with hearing voices.

it was a very great session and I am glad my therapist is like this. We need more therapists in the world who is like my therapist.