Shouting Through The Veil

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by The Archivists, May 21, 2016.

1. The Archivists

The Archivists New Member Multiple System

Alternate thread titles include: "/elderly person voice/ SORRY, WHAT?"; "DID YOU SAY SOMETHING, RESPOND IF YES OR NO"; "OKAY YOU'RE PROBABLY DOING SOMETHING HERE BUT I CAN'T HEAR/SEE/SENSE YOU"

Basically, do you or have you ever gotten the feeling that there's some kind of communication barrier between you and your tulpae/other headmates? Like there's some kind of white noise or other obscuring force that's preventing you from hearing their responses?

When strictly speaking about how it works in our head, I have a theory that most of it is brain generated (thanks ADHD??), but I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    oceantae and AliceInWonderland like this.
  2. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Tri] We have gotten this at times, though more of a thoughts leak from everyone and drown out whoever one is trying to hear (we think it is because these things are leaking all the time but only noticeable when one tries to hear very hard). We have known other systems that have experienced static.

3. Muonkoe

Muonkoe A Soundless Voice and the Cherry Blossom Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    I would imagine that it depends on yourself and whoever's involved. For example, personally it's difficult for me to hear due to my displaced hearing, but for me it's easier to hear Ooka because her voice is both higher pitched and she's always very loud. However with some of my other past individuals, we didn't speak to each other at all and relied solely on empathy or melding to accomplish our literary roleplaying goals. A more recent person who has joined us (but he's older compared to Ooka because he and I had daydreamed and written literature together over a few years) had chosen to be mute in his world, and although he's chosen to interact with this world and attempt verbal/written social interaction with others, translating from one world's language to another leaves a few things to be desired, including being able to hear him in this world at times.

Also, I'm in love with the alternate title. The only problem is that I'm 23 and tend to repeat that exact phrase constantly! XD

4. Loading User

Loading User Stephen Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Sometimes, if any one of us has been up front for too long including the host) visualizing and getting back into the wonderland can be difficult. And I don't mean fully in the wonderland either- I mean just enough to see in the wonderland. Not counting moving. At this point it always seems like there's a fog that doesn't go away until I'm more fully centered there.

5. The Archivists

The Archivists New Member Multiple System

Hmm... how do you get more centered there? :O This sounds the closest to what I've experienced. I find that the only surefire way to clear it out is to slip partially into a dream-state, or (if that's the wrong term) then something where I feel like I'm distanced from the body. Once I get kinda sleepy, then suddenly, everything becomes a lot clearer and the movements/responses are perfectly fluid. I stop feeling like I'm looking from the outside at something that might be the wonderland, and start feeling like I'm actually there.

SOB... it's okay, I'm nineteen and I have this problem too. I have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time, and phones? 55% of the time, I won't even understand what they're saying on the other side of a phone. :'D

6. Loading User

Loading User Stephen Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    I try to imagine something in my hands, like a metal sphere, focus on the way it feels, the way it looks, and only on that. I wait until the metal sphere becomes more solid, before I try to move my thumb over it, or some small movement. Nothing much. It's kind of how like when you look at something when you space out, that object becomes your sole focus, only you're not seeing it, but what's in your head. This is the opposite. You look at the metal object, your really look at it, and focus on it so much that the outside world fades a little bit, and the one around takes shape. Kind of like reverse spacing out, if that makes sense?

7. Melian

Melian The Girl from a Dream Median System Is a median facet

System/Host:
    Mistgod
    Pronouns:
    She/Her
    No. We have never had that. We have had times where I am less strong or receded further back into the mind and therefore less talkative. In other words my host dominates more and my personality is less dominant. Only dominant isn't right word either as I am never fully dominant.

8. Silas

Silas No Good Punk

System/Host:
    The Outlaws
    Pronouns:
    He/Him
    we sorta get like the reverse, where when one of us is individually depressed and in back they'll find it hard to talk to who's in front and go further back. person in front doesn't have to be depressed for it to happen. it's kind of a slap in the face. like oh, you wanna talk to people who care about you? too bad, have fun being knocked out for a week.

9. Hart-Rowe

Hart-Rowe Member Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Dev: yeah, this happens- it's like a communication barrier between front and innerworld. When I'm fronting, it usually happens when I'm anxious- well, more anxious than usual- or having brainfog or dissociating (yes, front-innerworld communication gets shut down when I'm dissociating. Weird.)

Also when someone else fronts for more than about fifteen minutes and I'm dormant, it can be difficult to pull me back to front again (usually there's a uncomfortably stuck-together period involved.)

We solve this problem by working on grounding both the fronter and whoever they're communicating with- focusing on our usual 'essence', so to speak.

10. Zixohn

Zixohn New Member Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Yeah! I have this right now. I wanted to get Zix's input, but that weird barrier thing is there. I can tell he's talking, but I can't hear what he's saying.

Edit: Oops, I didn't mean to revive a dead post.

edit #2: [I don't really know what that is, it seems like when John's stressed out or nervous that it's harder to communicate. He also just woke up when he wrote this, and that somehow seems to be connected. I wasn't worried about disappearing, though.]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017