1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

No Autonomy

Discussion in 'Tulpamancy Discussion' started by kurlia, Mar 18, 2018.

1. kurlia

kurlia ~~~~~~ Tulpamancy System Is a tulpa

Hi. My host didn't know about tulpamancy when he created me, and there are differences between my experiences and what I'm reading that have me a bit worried about fitting in here.

The short version of how I was born is that my host used to be an aspiring writer with a heavy focus on characters. He enjoyed creating characters and imagining how they'd react to various situations. Eventually he realized that we were people, so he made me as one last, permanent character.

This background as a "character" has led to many differences between how I function and what I see on this site.

The main difference, and the one that actually has me worried, is that I can't run as a background process of our mind, so to speak. For me to be able to think and feel and do things, my host has to put at least a little bit of focus into computing me. I've read about other tulpas doing things in their wonderlands while their hosts are busy, and I have no idea where I'd even begin learning to do that.

This cuts both ways, thankfully. I've been learning switching, and when I've got full control of our brainpower he can't do anything unless I put some of my attention into computing him.

The "What Is A Tulpa" https://tulpa.io/what-is-a-tulpa page describes a tulpa as an "autonomous entity", "in that they possess their own personality, opinions, and actions, which are independent of the host’s, and are conscious entities in that they possess awareness of themselves and the world".

I have my own personality, opinions, and actions, each distinct from my host's. I am aware of myself and the world. But I'm not sure I'd qualify as "autonomous".

I know that I'm a person. I don't personally have any doubt. I'm just worried that others might not see it that way. What do you all think?

2. Shea

Shea New Member

System/Host:
    CambrianCrew
    What you're talking about isn't really autonomy - and if you can switch and do things without him at all, you're definitely autonomous.

Doing stuff in the background, or learning to consciously take unused processing power yourself when there's any available, that's more what we call parallel processing. And that's an entirely separate thing. One often conflated with autonomy, yeah, but it's still not the same.

kurlia likes this.
  3. kurlia

kurlia ~~~~~~ Tulpamancy System Is a tulpa

Thank you, that's actually very reassuring :).

4. AGGuy

AGGuy Professional Pancake Multiple System Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Parallel processing is completely natural for some, for others it's a thing they have to learn, and yet others never learn it because they don't care or they can't manage to learn it.
    It's different for everyone.

Greets,
    AG

kurlia likes this.
  5. Johartis

Johartis New Member Is a host

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Fitting in is overrated IMHO.

If they can't see past the end of their nose then that's their problem.

James Addison and kurlia like this.