1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

Narration Difficulties

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by Drakaina, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Drakaina

Drakaina Dragon Kitty Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    So I'm having some difficulty with narration and if be grateful for any advice and feedback.

For starters I'm not a talkative person, very much like a cat, I'm an observer. Most importantly though is that my natural way of thinking is in concepts and images. Words have little meaning in my brain, but I've been trying to string them together when I force with my tulpa so that she learns to use them.

Because of this though narrating is really hard for me, and I can't force passively because it takes my full attention to turn the tthoughts into words. Then within a matter of minutes I run out of things to say, and it devolves into barely coherent prattle. =/

2. Keysaya

Keysaya Member Tulpamancy System Soulbonding System Is a host

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    Maybe you could try to narrate using thoughts directly, instead of using words.

Narration, after all, is needed because it helps you create the idea that you're actually communicating with another being in your mind, but words aren't really necessary. You can do that with thoughts too: the important thing is that you communicate with your tulpa.

With that being said, you mentioned how you're "teaching" your tulpa to use words in this way: while that is okay, remember that vocalization doesn't entail words only. Like I always say, the main priority you should strive for is to "establish a reliable means of communication", be it words, gestures, thoughts, tulpish, emotions, images, or what have you. Not all tulpas use words to communicate. One of my tulpas, for example, told me that he prefers using tulpish instead of words and, while he can say a few words, in the end we just decided to rely on tulpish: communication works fine, so it's okay. The only drawback is when I have to proxy him, since tulpish tend to be a little hard to translate into words, but it's doable.

3. Drakaina

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    That's helpful, thank you Keysaya. Narrating with thoughts never dawned on ma. I'll have to practice directing this form of tthought at my tulpa.
    Our communication isn't steady yet, snippets here and there, always in tulpish. So I definitely need to work on that.

4. Keysaya

Keysaya Member Tulpamancy System Soulbonding System Is a host

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    You're welcome!

I wanted to add that it's perfectly okay if you want to work towards vocalization using words later. Don't worry too much about it: do what feels most right to you, and everything will be fine. After all, every mind works in a different way.

5. Drakaina

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    So true. And I suspect it may be easier to teach Isa to use words once she's a more stable presence.

6. Falah

Falah aka the Chiaroscuro

System/Host:
    The Quandary
    Pronouns:
    They/Them
    @Keysaya already covered it well, but just wanted to add in our few cents.

Intent and direction is really what matters with narration. Speak/think with the intent of communicating with your tulpa and direct conversation towards your tulpa. A common beginner mistake I see is to just talk out loud, with no direction at all. I think as long as you have those two things, it shouldn't matter in what medium you communicate--words or thoughts.

To add on some examples of non-verbal communication, we've communicated using body language, flashes of images--graphs, flowcharts, puzzle pieces. Even images like comic panels. Though we don't consciously generate the images--they just happen automatically as we think at each other, and we roll with them, if that makes sense? I believe there are multiples, too, who don't use words to communicate with each other, and use music instead. So, mentioning just in case, your tulpa's responses might not be verbal in themselves.

Also, belated hi from someone else who doesn't think in words. :)

7. Drakaina

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    Thanks for the advice, Falah. I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of just talking in no particular direction. Its nice to hear from someone else who is a nonverbal thinker.
    Maybe I'll take a step back and work with helping Isa reach full sentience in my native head language. Ideally I'd like her to learn how to use words so we can converse and its easier for me to tell it's her communicating with me. But her sentience and autonomy should be my first goal. :3

8. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Hail] A little late to this, I am sorry.

I am also a non-verbal thinker. That was different when I was merged with S. since she is a verbal thinker, but we have been separate for nearly two years now. Not being a verbal thinker did make narration and other conversation difficult despite me being rather talkative. I found that it was a bit easier to do words interlaced with thoughts as a middle ground between full on tulpish and pure verbal. I also used memory transfer to aid this. I would think about something such as what I am meaning, and then send the memory of the thoughts. That seemed to work rather well. I still do that. It is pretty useful