1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

Is this tulpamancy?

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by xuolyhs, Oct 20, 2017.

1. xuolyhs

xuolyhs New Member Plural System DDNOS/OSDD System Is a host

Pronouns:
    They/Them
    I am literally asking for a friend, she isn't comfortable reaching out herself and I am the only person she has confided in, which is probably because I am quite open (to an extent) about being a median system. What she has going on sounded in ways similar to tulpa creation but not exactly, so I thought I'd ask you guys (with her permission)!

Basically she was catfished by her best friend at a very emotional and difficult time in her life and became so attached to the made-up person that even after she found out it was a lie she continued to think about him so often that he seems real to her inside of her mind. While she sleeps she even dreams about a life with him, to this day - almost 15 years later.

She isn't able to interact with him or even hear him unless she is sleeping or "day-dreams" but she feels like its 100% real and that she's in love him though she knows he was made up. She knew nothing about tulpas and didn't consciously try to create him but seemed to focus on it so much that it just happened.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Tri] Hello

Hmm, tough to say. Can definitely see why you see the similarity to tulpamancy. We see it as well. Also seems like there is a similarity to soulbonding as well. The two forms of plurality have a lot in common with a decent fraction of each category matching the definition of the other category. Based on the experiences she reports, we think there is likely a thoughtform of some sort there at the present time, though possibly faint (not sure of classification - tulpa, soulbond, or both).

Tell her we send our best wishes. We understand why she isn't comfortable reaching our herself.

3. tulpa1

tulpa1 Member Is a tulpa

Pronouns:
    Any
    In my opinion, it depends on the way in which she interacts with him in her dreams and daydreams. Tulpa's aren't generally considered real because they feel real, but because they act real. There are many other things out there that could match this evidence that need to be ruled out. An imaginary friend, a fictional character, who behaves with a degree of autonomy, a daydream character used for fantasizing, stuff like that. There is no clear line between tulpas and these other phenomenon. In particular, it is known that this line can be crossed.

Focus on questions concerning how smart he is, if he is aware of reality, and if he disagrees/fights about anything.