1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

I have no clue how to even hear my tulpa. How does one do so?

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by DerpMasterJ, Jun 26, 2017.

1. DerpMasterJ

DerpMasterJ The Potato Quest's Captain Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    So, I have had my tulpa Flux for a few days, I would say about five. I heard it (Its hard giving things genders!) speak only once. I have no clue how to listen to it. Could you help me? Is it maybe having something to do with my ASD (autism spectrum disorder)?

2. DerpMasterJ

Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    I have discovered the answer. I basically have to think of nothing but static and I get a sort of jist of what my tulpa is thinking. It is very strange. I like it.

3. DerpMasterJ

Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    It isn't working anymore. Can I have help please?

4. FuzzyHedgepig

FuzzyHedgepig Jamie Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    They/Them
    Hearing your tulpa takes time. And hearing them regularly takes even more time. Be patient and you'll hear Flux when both of you are ready. In the mean time, keep talking to them and spending time with them to help them grow stronger.

5. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Obsidian] I might recommend using singular they. "They" isn't depersonalizing in the way that "it" is (do note, some people do prefer "it" to be used with them but this is a different circumstance).

Flux is only a few days old. It is quite normal to not be able to hear much (or anything at all) from a tulpa at this point. Auditory communication can take time to develop, and it can take time for a host to learn how to hear inside (it sometimes happens that a tulpa can communicate but a host isn't able to hear them yet). Also, some tulpas are mute or non-verbal. Whatever the reasons, keep trying to listen and also look at other communication methods and be patient.

With regards to listening, are you able to play songs in your head? When you remember things, do you hear the sounds too? Can you hear sound in daydreams? If you can't, you might consider trying to do these things. This will give you experience hearing things inside which will make it easier to hear Flux whenever they make a sound of some sort.

As for whether this has anything to do with ASD or not, at this point it is most likely just how little time Flux has been around and how little time you have been trying to listen inside. By the way, we have ASD as well.

Communication connections can be kind of tenuous at first till you both get experience with them and they become habit. This is a common experience, for such communication to happen once, break for a while, happen again, break for a while, ...

FuzzyHedgepig likes this.
  6. The Quandary

The Quandary Colors and Contrast Administrator Moderator Mixed-Origin System

[Cassius] Hey! Just a reminder that you can edit your posts instead of making multiple posts in succession after each other. Generally, we ask that people edit their posts whenever possible and reserve double-posting for threads where it's expected, like forum games or progress logs.

Anyway, yep, practice is a key aspect here. Progress will come and go, and it's entirely possible to hear someone very clearly one day and not at all on another day. There are some things you can do, though.

First, as you've already noticed, communication doesn't always happen in words. If you're having trouble getting words, try "listening" for emotions, images, impressions, and so on instead. A lot of tulpamancers actually start off their communication with yes/no questions, using head pressures or a positive/negative feeling in place of yes and no.

It might also help to try and make a voice for them that they can use before developing their own. Not parroting them, necessarily, but thinking about a particular voice you'd like them to use. You can listen to a bunch of VAs or characters to pick one, think about their word choices and how they put together sentences, and so on. Keep in mind that they can change this later if they want to.

Best of luck!

DerpMasterJ and FuzzyHedgepig like this.
  7. DerpMasterJ

Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    Thanks for the tips! I hope you all have a nice lifetime.