1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

How different can the personality be?

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by Mikori, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mikori

Mikori New Member Tulpamancy System

Pronouns:
    Any
    Hello everyone,
    I have been working at creating a Tulpa for a short little while, and I was hoping to get some guidance about the whole process and answers to some random questions that I got while trying to developing a personality for my Tulpa.
    The question regarding personality building is as such: just how different can I make the personality? Seeing as the Tulpa stem from my own mind, can it really be something that I am very much not? I was essentially wondering to what extent a tulpa's personality can deviate from that of the host. For example, if I am not very good at reading people, can I construct the tulpa to be extremely perceptive? Or if I am very forgetful, can the tulpa be the opposite of that?
    Also, I have read that forcing sessions are supposed to be very draining. As a 3D artist, I have absolutely no trouble imagining the tulpa and as hobby writer I also do not seem to have too much trouble in fleshing the personality out, so neither seem very draining to me. If it's not draining, am I doing something wrong?
    Many thanks
    Mikori

2. The Quandary

The Quandary Colors and Contrast Administrator Moderator Mixed-Origin System

[Cassius] I think a big thing to keep in mind is that personality is super complicated, and something that's in large part shaped by lived experience and dependent upon context. To use your example, someone can be really good at reading a subset of people, and really bad at reading another subset of people. Someone who's super outgoing and rambunctious around friends and family can be meek and quiet around strangers. And just as we realize we're very different than we think we are when we're taken out of familiar contexts and company, a tulpa can have an idea of who they are, only to realize that they're a very different person out here as opposed to when it's just them and their host. So even the concept of an outgoing tulpa, a diligent tulpa, etc isn't as simple as it might seem.

It's definitely possible to influence a tulpa in one direction or another, but their final growth will be unique to them--just as you can influence a kid in a certain way, but ultimately, they'll grow according to their own unique self and situation. And just as we can't impart a skill upon ourselves just by wishing we could sing better, or draw better, or interact with people better, pushing those ideas on a tulpa during development won't magically give them those skills, either. They can have more impetus than you to practice a certain skill, and personalities that make it easier for them to grasp certain skills, but even those are things that are best explored and developed by them, rather than things enforced upon them.

Though not all of us are tulpas, each of us does have a knack for something that the others don't. Architect's good at remembering to take care of our body. Lark keeps a cool head and isn't so prone to anxiety over deadlines. I can mingle and shift to match whatever social environment. And so forth. But in all our cases, it's something that's powered by our own desires, interests, beliefs, and so forth.

As for all forcing sessions being draining, that's definitely not true for everyone. Just as everyone's path through creation is different, the amount of difficulty everyone experiences can differ, too.

Does all of this make sense?

(Also, just a quick unrelated note--I know you meant nothing by it, but we non-original headpeople generally don't like being referred to as "it" any more than any other person does, even in the abstract! This isn't like a mod warning or such, just wanted to mention it. ;w;)

3. Mikori

Mikori New Member Tulpamancy System

Pronouns:
    Any
    Yes, that makes sense, thank you for taking the time to respond. And I am really sorry about the "it" business, it's just what I say when I am unsure of a gender, I really meant no offense by it. I shall be more heedful in the future.

4. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Frostbite] Singular "they" is a much better alternative. It works just like "you" in that then it can be plural or singular. "they" uses plural verbs regardless, just like "you". But there are differences when appending "self/selves". For singular, you get "themself" and "theirself" and for plural you get "themselves" and "theirselves"; just like "you" does.

On to the original topic. I don't have that much to add to Cassius. Mostly just just adding confirmation to it. Cassius writes better than we can so I am not going to risk confusing you with writing the same thing. I can give some examples.

This isn't so much a personality thing, but it is a useful example of something similar. The body has a long history of righthandedness and all the associated muscle memory since Ice and I controlled it for a bit over two decades straight and we are right handed (our predecessor was left handed though). Everyone else in this system is left handed inside. When they front, while they definitely would prefer to use their left, all the muscle memory with the right and the very little with the left means that the body will instinctively use the right and they are very clumsy if they override it with what feels more comfortable and use the left. Details inside don't always translate exactly outside because outside experiences can limit things. That all said, they could eventually acquire the required muscle memory with the left hand to be able to use it naturally and it could one day happen that enough is acquired with it that we will be clumsier with the right hand than the left and Ice and I will have to fight the body's instinct to use the left if we want to feel comfortable and will pay a price of clumsiness when doing so.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. AGGuy

AGGuy Professional Pancake Multiple System Is a systemmate

Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Well, there's a bunch of people in dis head 'ere, and some of these guys and gals are nothing like me at all.
    So yeah, that's the short, practical answer.

Greets,
    AG