1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

Pinned Distinguishing Types of Co-Fronting

Discussion in 'Possession and Cofronting' started by Falah, May 12, 2015.

1. Falah

Falah aka the Chiaroscuro

System/Host:
    The Quandary
    Pronouns:
    They/Them
    What do these terms mean?

- Possession: In which a system member directly controls the body, without making use of any of the previous fronter's channels for controlling the body.
    - Co-fronting: In which several system members use the body at once. This includes members who are currently connected to the body's senses (as opposed to being asleep or in the innerworld) but are not actively controlling the body itself.
    - Eclipsing: In which system members "overlap", controlling the body together. One member often makes use of another member's channels for controlling the body, essentially instantaneously commanding them to move on their behalf.

Possession and eclipsing can both be considered types of co-fronting.

Why distinguish?

We do not require people to make sharp distinctions, or always know the difference. There is a lot of overlap between these terms especially in discussion (and especially in tulpamancy, where "possession" simply refers to "exchanging body control without sensory disconnection"), and if someone is simply looking to share body control without disconnecting from their senses and going inside, they will produce much the same result.

That being said, mentioning the differences can still be useful for advanced discussion. Among other things, we're suspecting that it is easier to springboard into switching from possession than it is from eclipsing, and that eclipsing is faster to learn but carries a higher chance of accidentally blending system members together (albeit temporarily).

(Essentially, this is an information post, not a rules post.)

2. Skyler

Skyler Hiding in a Human Body Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    They/Them, Ne/Nem
    If I may ask, how can one tell the difference between proxying, eclipsing, and blending? For example, at times when typing out for Worm, I find myself typing nearly as automatically as I would for myself, yet clearly the response comes from Worm, at least to some large extent. From what I see here, that could possibly be eclipsing, as there is often no lag between Worm's responses and my typing. But when I check with him afterwards, he sometimes asks me to change bits and pieces; so would it simply be proxying -- more of a translation from raw thought?

Also, how can one know when blending has taken place vs. simply eclipsing?

3. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Hail] Blending, at the extreme, can result in one not being able to answer the question of "who am I?" or knowing the answer to be an "us" of some sort. Essentially, the people blending together mush together and each's personality and other traits blend into the other.

Eclipsing is basically hijacking the person in front's channels to control the body by making them move the arm or something like that. For the person being eclipsed, this can work like one just standing still and all of a sudden wanting to move the arm for no apparent reason (well, to the person being eclipsed since the eclipser knows exactly what they are doing). Other times it can be the eclipsed can no longer think independently. Instead, the eclipser drags the eclipsed thoughts around to make them do things.

Possess is moving the body with the person being possessed seeing things happening but not sending signals themselves nor feeling unexplained mental urges to do the things being done.

Proxying is passing on the word from someone inside.

Now, the thing is that many situations are a combination of more than one of these, or one leads to another.

Proxying can often lead to eclipsing and/or blending. This was actually how Tri and I used to exchange control. I would start out proxying them and it would gradually shift over to full-body eclipsing (the first time took 5 hours).

Eclipsing often goes with blending, especially if the eclipsing is working by dragging the thoughts of the eclipsed.

Possession and eclipsing can be mixed. Say, someone is possessing the arms and torso but eclipsing the voice and legs.

4. Skyler

Skyler Hiding in a Human Body Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    They/Them, Ne/Nem
    Hmm, alright. Thank you!