1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

Bug Update: "Is a host" displays for non-hosts.

Discussion in 'Site Technical Help & Feedback' started by Rain, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rain

Rain Administrator

System/Host:
    The Quandary
    Pronouns:
    He/Him
    After some trawling through the userbase, I believe I have found why this is happening. There is some sort of error occurring between the usergroups promotion system, the Hosts usergroup, and the subaccounts system. If a parent account sets their system member type to "I am a host", the type is erroneously transferred to all subaccounts under that parent account as well, resulting in the mismatching labels.

This is clearly a very widespread and annoying problem, given the proportion of users whose parent account belongs to the host and whose subaccounts belong to non-hosts. The good news is that I do not see this problem occurring for any other tag, which appears to indicate that the problem is not in the coding of the subsystem or tagging system, but is specific to the Hosts usergroup and its configurations. Therefore, the fix may be as simple as untoggling an inappropriate setting. It is simply a matter of finding where that setting lives.

("Famous last words.")

In any case, thank you all for your patience. If you have additional observations to report, please do report them! Any feedback will be useful for uncovering a fix.

2. Rain

Rain Administrator

System/Host:
    The Quandary
    Pronouns:
    He/Him
    Update! It appears that the bug has been eradicated. Please remain on the lookout for further bugs, as it is sadly the nature of technology that once one bug is squashed, it will more often than not split into multiple new bugs.

Thank you once more for your patience, and a Happy New Year's to you and yours, within and without!

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tulpamancy System Is a host

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    So glad that the cause of the bug has been discovered! A few nights before this update, I was looking through the source code of the site (mostly the CSS) to see if I could figure out anything from that, but it was soon late at night and I couldn't keep my eyes open to keep searching. I'll keep a look out for any other wonkiness on the site as well. =)