1. Due to hosting difficulties, difficulty maintaining the forum, time issues, etc.; some time later than a week from now (June 9, 2018) but within the next month, this site will be changing adminstrators from us (Fall Family) to the Quandary and moved, and the forum either migrated to other software or ended. If the forum is ended, static versions of the guides and other resources will be preserved. For more information, see Upcoming Administration Change and Possible End of Forum.

13 months and 0 progress

Discussion in 'Beginner and Creation Help' started by Mechthilde, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Mechthilde

Mechthilde Queen Of Procrastination

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    Good morning!
    I posted a question a few days ago and received lots of good answers, so I thought I´d try to get help for my main problem.
    tl;dr at the bottom again!

Like the title says, I´ve been trying to create a tulpa for more than a year now, and I´ve gotten no results. When I say "0 progress", I literally mean ZERO. Not a single attempt at communication, not a single living sign; not even head pressures.

In these 13 months, I´ve focused on passive forcing. Now, narration has become second nature to me. I imagine my tulpa following me everywhere I go and I talk to her a lot during the day (mentally when I´m in public, out loud when I´m alone at home).
    I like to think that I have a decent imagination: I daydream an embarassing amount of time everyday, so I´m pretty good at imagining my tulpa´s form and our wonderland.
    I´ve read every creation guide under the sun. I´ve tried everything that is usually suggested to newcomers. Nothing.

If I had to guess, a problem could be that I´m a very skeptical person, and at the beginning, I wasn´t really sure of the existence of this phenomenon (and honestly, I still have some doubts). Nonetheless, I´ve gotten really attached to my tulpa after all this time. I don´t care if she "exists" or not; I´m not giving up on her.
    Another difficulty is that I can´t do active forcing, because I never really understood what it actually entails. Again, I´ve read lots of explanations, but I just don´t get it. I´ve heard of people creating tulpae just by passive forcing, so I thought it would be enough, but obviously, I was wrong.

I know my case is pretty desperate, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips on how to go from here. My main goal is vocalization/being able to have conversations together (I don´t care much about visualization). Are some people just not meant to experience this? Or is there anything else I can try?

Bonus question: any secret tips on how to avoid feeling envious of those who already have a tulpa? A friend of mine has already received a vocalized respone, even though he never had to do anything and never put any kind of effort into it. I know that these feelings are going to harm my tulpa´s development. So, how do I stop turning this into a competition?

tl;dr: No progress after more than a year. Feel envious of those who complete their tulpa in a matter of weeks/months. What should I do?

2. Falah

Falah aka the Chiaroscuro

System/Host:
    The Quandary
    Pronouns:
    They/Them
    Some questions of our own for you, sorry. What do you currently experience with your tulpa? You said you're really good at visualizing them--how much so?

Also, how much personality have you constructed, and how good are you with just hearing mindvoices? What sort of sense does your thinking gravitate towards?

We have a feeling that communication might have already been happening, but not in a way you'd expect as communication. Same way systems can be plural for a long time and not know it.

3. Kid

Kid The Gardener

System/Host:
    ForestOfSouls
    Pronouns:
    She/Her
    Parrot, parrot, parrot! I didn't see anything about parroting in your post, so I assume it's something you haven't tried yet? A big part of tulpamancy is training your brain to recognize the things that yoyr tulpa tells you. Parroting helps prime your brain to be able to listen for your tulpa. A lot of guides condone it, but from what I've seen, nothing works better towards vocality than parroting.

4. AliceInWonderland

AliceInWonderland Live long and prosper Tulpamancy System Is a tulpa

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    I know it may sound like I'm just generalizing, but I really believe that if you aren't seeing any progress it's because you have a doubt, a bad perception or a belief that tulpamancing isn't going to work for you. I am going to give you a controversial tip that can work for people who are not predisposed to this kind of thing. It involves parroting.

You should start active forcing. It's what keeps your experiences with your tulpa fresh and new.
    Sit down, relax, and imagine your tulpa's form. It's good if your tulpa has a form that can talk, if she doesn't you should give her one. I want you to imagine what your tulpa would say to you. Ask her a question, or just imagine what she would say at random. If you don't know her personality, then you should go make her one, because that's where you get how she will start out. Forget about individuality, she can change her personality if she wants to. This is just helping her start talking. Once you have what she would say, I want you to make her say it to you. This first time probably feels very robotic and mundane. But once you say your second or third or fourth thing to her, it should come pretty easily, imagining what she would say. After a few minutes, it should come so easily that it almost feels automatic. At first this automatic voice talking to you will be pretty easy to doubt, yes, but you didn't force those 13 months for nothing. Now, if there really is a tulpa in there, and I believe there is, then this will at least be allowing her to communicate easily.

I'd like you to get back to me on whether or not this works for you. It was how I created. The way it works it that the voice of how you imagine your tulpa would respond to you becomes more and more and more real until it's indistinguishable from a real person.

5. Watcher

Watcher Somewhere Between Motivated and Cold

System/Host:
    The Outlaws
    Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    Yeah, adding onto what Falah mentioned, it's possible that your tulpa has a different preferred communication style than yourself, or that they haven't quite picked up how to communicate verbally yet. I know of a number of young tulpas who communicate through gesture and visuals before branching out into forming complete sentences, and there are even many singlets out there who don't think in words. In fact, it's similar in babies as well: they learn to express themselves through smiling and laughing before using words. If that's the case, it might be helpful to try active forcing a bit.

As for how active forcing works, it's really not as cryptic or mysterious as a lot of guides make it out to be. All you have to do is imagine your tulpa somewhere in your mind's eye (could be with a placeholder form if they haven't settled on one), interact with them, and see what they do. If you're still lost, this little guided exercise might help:

First, imagine you're standing in front of a door, with your tulpa on the other side. Open the door. Do you see them? What are they doing? Try saying hi to them, and go from there.

AliceInWonderland likes this.
  6. Mechthilde

Mechthilde Queen Of Procrastination

Pronouns:
    She/Her
    I can't impose (and don't even try), but when my mind isn't occupied with anything special, I can easily imagine a landscape with my tulpa in it. I like creating cities and characters, so visualizing everything with my "mind's eye" is something I've been doing since I was little.

I have a specific personality in mind, and even wrote out a list of character traits. I did some personality forcing early on, but like I said, I can't really do active forcing.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "hearing mindvoices", sorry! I'm afraid my thinking is still too mundane. xD
    I'm also not sure if this is what you mean with your last question, but my thinking tends to be quite...verbose? As in, I feel the need to put all my feelings and experiences into words.

Thanks for taking interest in my question!

@Kid
    @AliceInWonderland
    You both suggested parroting, so I'd like to ask you a few more questions about this technique.
    I get why it might work, but there's one thing that I don't quite understand: if it's basically just "training" your brain to answer your questions like your tulpa would, is it really a tulpa? I mean, I know people still kill each other over the exact definition of a tulpa, but I always got the impression that parroting leads to some kind of...I don't know, "mechanical" tulpa. Like a robot who's been programmed to say specific things?
    Those are not rethorical questions, I just want to learn! :)
    Anyway, years of imaginary friends have given me lots of practice with parroting, so I will definitely try it!

For Alice specifically: thanks for your instructions for active forcing, it really helps! I'll make sure to update you when/if something happens.

@Arcana
    You're absolutely right; all of the guides describe active forcing as this mystical, transcendent experience and just expect any beginner to pull it off!
    Thanks for your short explanation; I think it's a lot more clear now!

Your posts have been merged--please post once at a time, even when addressing multiple users. Thanks! ~Arcana

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
    DaxD likes this.
  7. Watcher

Watcher Somewhere Between Motivated and Cold

System/Host:
    The Outlaws
    Pronouns:
    He/Him, They/Them
    No problem, best of luck. :)

8. FallFamily

FallFamily Forum Goddesses Administrator Moderator Plural System Mixed-Origin System

Pronouns:
    She/Her, They/Them
    [Tri] The trick with parroting is to let off on it as your tulpa gains autonomy and will. Also good to ask them questions and give them opportunities to make decisions, so that they can get more will and autonomy. It is these things that prevent the making of a servitor (though it should be noted that a servitor can be turned into a tulpa later if that does end up happening).

AliceInWonderland likes this.
  9. Kid

Kid The Gardener

System/Host:
    ForestOfSouls
    Pronouns:
    She/Her
    @Mechthilde
    It's not your tulpa at first. The idea is though, eventually the more you practice parroting the more instinctive it becomes. Eventually you'll start to relax a little more, and that'll give your tulpa an opportunity to push through that communication barrier, and talk to you. Parroting is only parroting if you're doing it intentionally; the moment you get a response that you're not sure was you or not, it's good to assume that it was your tulpa!